14 July 2011

On the Merits of Cordless Drills

I've never been much of a home handyman. In fact an incident during childhood rather put me off the idea. Luckily I've been able to use my brain rather than brawn to make a living and have generally preferred to pay someone else to do manual jobs, particularly those requiring any skill such as carpentry and so on. That way I can complain about the quality of someone else's work if it doesn't meet my Virgoan standards of perfection, rather than have to endure the outcome of a sloppy job by my own hand.

But with this move into our new house that's starting to change. I fished a couple of dead possums out of the roof last weekend (that had eaten all the rat bait) while installing some flooring to make storage space accessed through our new attic ladder. A job I actually found quite enjoyable (not the part with the possums mind you), especially when Charlie came to help, passing me screws and tools.

I think that one of the things that has precipitated my change of heart was buying a cordless drill. Every man should own one, I've decided. A cordless drill is empowering, masculine and potent. It helps you screw things, after all. The products of drill work impress and please our partners. It really is a win win tool.

There. I'm glad that's off my chest. In other news, a big thank you to Mary, Melissa, Frank, Linda, Vanessa and Darren for donating their time on Sunday to help with our garden bee. Flick and the boys baked some cookies to encourage the council green waste guys to pick up the fruits of our labours on Wednesday, which worked a treat.  Also thanks to Mary for coming over from Wellington to help us out during this busy time.

Some of our green waste out for collection.  As you can see from the size of the trees we have a lot to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment